We’re staying in the hospital tonight as O is in recovery from one of his surgeries. Here are the highlights thus far:
- The baby O is sharing his room with is ten months and potty trained. My brain is so confused.
- O was up both nights from 9:15-2:45, and then off and on until 6. He kept thinking he had just gotten up from a nap when the nurses needed to do stuff to him. We are… tired as hell.
- BC Children’s Child Life dept. is a magical place of flashy lights and dazzling distractions that are like crack cocaine to an upset toddler.
- There is no greater hell than sharing a hospital room with a frequently upset baby when your own baby is frightened by crying. No. Greater. Hell.
- We have half a room this time instead of third a room! Despite the other stuff, this too is magical.
- Nurses that get some stuff can wait and that sleep matters most are my favourite. Nurses that feel they must do everything for every box on the clock (after you just spent an hour and half getting your child down) are not my favourite.
- For O’s next surgery we get to be in the new BC children’s hospital ward that has all individual rooms! Hurray!
That’s all for now. We’re headed home soon. I might try to smuggle the giant morphine drip machine home with us. For serious.
Tired but thankful.